Oshkosh, WI: Battle of the Fox and the Wolf

 A. What is your [hometown or current] watershed? If you are living in Madison, do you know your sub-watershed? What are the threats to this watershed (think about both surface- and groundwater threats) and how are they being managed? For example, do any of the aquatic invasive species you are learning about this week play a role in your watershed? 

Photo: Lake Winnebago is featured behind the "wolf" aka my yellow lab, Maggie. 
My hometown of Oshkosh, WI is conveniently located on 3 large, interconnected waterbodies: Lake Winnebago, Lake Butte des Morts, and the Fox River. According to the Wisconsin DNR, the applicable watershed (Water Management Unit) is the Upper Fox River Basin. This watershed is apart of 8 different counties-- including Winnebago-- and covers 2,090 square miles (www.dnr.wisconsin.gov). The corresponding major drainage system is that of Lake Michigan. Fascinatingly, the Upper Fox River Basin includes all of the streams that feed into Lake Winnebago except those that belong in the Wolf River Basin. Nevertheless, the two basins are still connected; in fact, the Wolf River is accessible in a small town just 5 minutes outside of the city of Oshkosh. 
The intersection of these two basins so make me wonder, how does the exchange from these two local watersheds impact the ecology? Growing up, both Lake Winnebago and the Wolf River were infamous for pollution; I remember news stories about a blastomycosis outbreak along the banks of the Wolf. Additionally, there has always been large communities of blue-green algal blooms in Lake Winnebago. How do you all think the attachment of these two basins physically, but considered to be two different watersheds, contributes to aquatic ecology? 
OK.....moving on!
The DNR claims that the major factors with the largest ecological impact on the Upper Fox River Basin include agricultural, urban, and recreational sectors (www.dnr.wisconsin.gov). These industries largely affects the integrity of the watershed. According to a 2001 report from the DNR, the priorities for Winnebago County (chosen because Oshkosh is in Winnebago Co) include 
"• Cropland and urban construction soil erosion and nutrient runoff. 
• Shoreline and streambank erosion and wetland destruction. 
• Inadequate coordination between rural and urban areas within watersheds. 
• Maintenance of existing drainage infrastructures.
• Lack of information/education on water quality issues, inadequate enforcement of existing regulations, and inadequate regulations." (The State of the Upper Fox River Basin, WI DNR, 2001)

Shifting the focus away from the professionals, as a local, I feel as if these threats are still relevant today; however, I would also include the threat of invasive species. Zebra mussels are a very relevant issue within the Upper Fox River Basin. Since I was a child, I can remember always having to be extra cautious when near the water/shoreline due to the presence of sharp zebra mussel shells; in fact, I had a friend in elementary school who needed stitches after stepping on a shell! Additionally, eurasian watermilfoil has become endemic in this watershed. Within my family, we have had multiple motors fail due to the invasive. 
Beyond the scope of invasive species, pollution remains a large issue for this watershed. As I mentioned previously, this area of Wisconsin features excellent soils for agriculture, so run-off is an ever present issue. This threats aquatic species' longevity as phosphorous and nitrogen accumulation leads to very acidic water levels, and annual blue-green algal blooms.


sources:
https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/Watersheds/basins/upfox
https://dnr.wi.gov/water/basin/upfox/upfox1.pdf

Comments

  1. Grace,
    It was refreshing to read your post which has such intimate ties between your background and the area you are covering! The fact that you've personally experienced harmful consequences from some of the invasive species we looked at in class or read about is fascinating to me. Another point I found striking in your post is the reasons contributing to an unhealthy watershed. Mainly, I consider it not surprising but disappointing nonetheless that lack of education and coordination between communities contributes to excess runoff in our waters. Everybody is so quick to point the finger, and everybody is in favor of cleaner waters. The two principles cannot both be true, yet are consistently presented as such. I also find it interesting that the two connected lake basins contribute to different watersheds. I would assume their health is largely similar to each other, though I suppose the flow of water is important when considering them as separate, respectively. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who is originally from Fond du Lac, I'm no stranger to the infamous contamination of Lake "Winni-septic." I remember that there were some years growing up that you couldn't swim in the lake due to the algae blooms and other contaminates. Zebra Mussels have also caused an issue in my community as a girl I went to school with jumped into Lake Winnebago for the "Ice Bucket Challenge" and landed on Zebra Mussels and spent a few months in rehab for her knee. As the Zebra Mussel population has remained constant, even steadily growing, over the past decade, it raises the concern of how it will affect the ability to recreationally enjoy swimming and boating in Lake Winnebago. Also, as the pollution of Lake Winnebago continues from all sides, it is concerning how it will effect the local watersheds, water supply, as well as recreation. I think it's also interesting that although pollution is an issue in both the Wolf River and Fox River, yet people continue to float down and swim down them each summer. You made very interesting points about the watershed in Oshkosh and it was cool to learn about another watershed near my hometown!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this post as I am traveling to lake Winnebago for the first time this upcoming weekend. I will be looking out for the pollution and things your article discussed. I think looking out for invasive species will be something I will search for especially with looking at the inlands and outlets of the massive lake. Although I will be using it for recreation, I think acknowledging my actions and those around me and how that impacts it as drinking water and a water shed will be fascinating. As I drive to the cabin I will also keep my eyes out for farm lands as I now understand the major runoff pollution problem and phosphorus issue.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment