How is Climate Change Impacting Glencoe, Illinois?

Growing up, summer break from school also meant summer, the season. Temperatures would warm up in May, Spring was an actual season, and by the time school got out in early June it was time to go to the beach or pool. Unfortunately, this is not the case any more. As I have grown, I have noticed some changes in the seasons themselves.

Nowadays, spring is sort of skipped as a season. What used to start in March and last until late May, is now a mix of summer and winter conditions until summer decides to roll around permanently. Between 1981-2010, temperature and precipitation records were measured at the Chicago Botanical Garden and are available to the public (the gardens, despite its name, are actually in Glencoe). Over that nearly three decade time span, May was the wettest month with an average of 4.1 inches of precipitation over 12.2 days (University of Illinois). Comparing that with data taken from another location within Cook County, average precipitation at the site ballooned to just below 7.5 inches in 2019 (USGS). Then, in 2021, the number swung the other way to a depressing 1.79 inches of precipitation in May (USGS). Though yearly fluctuations are typical with nature, it is the extreme rainfall events followed by drought that is worrisome. Climate change sees weather events moving to polar ends of the spectrum rather than falling near the average historical records each year, which is alarming. 

Another piece of evidence for climate change that I have noticed aside from our inconsistent spring is the lake levels. I am fortunate to be able to live so close to Lake Michigan. So, I have been going to the beach in the summer for as long as I can remember. There is one beach in particular, known locally as "Swing Beach" due to the tire swing that once attracted visitors, that is all but gone today. Steps remain to take you down through the ravine to access the water. But, what no more than a decade ago was 10 feet of sand between the last step and the water is now effectively entirely submerged. Finding specific data for this exact location is impossible unfortunately, but anecdotally it is entirely true. Additionally, Lake Michigan water level data is available, and levels since 2014 have been elevated above their average by as much as nearly three feet at times (U.S. Army Corps). 

Historical Lake Michigan Levels
Data provided by US Army Corps 
(Image cropped by me)
https://lre-wm.usace.army.mil/ForecastData/GLBasinConditions/LTA-GLWL-Graph.pdf

Glencoe Beach- now the only public beach with sand available for recreation with Swing Beach's mishaps
Image courtesy of Trip Advisor
https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g36050-d13732133-i352283243-Glencoe_Beach-Glencoe_Illinois.html




I believe the unusual spring precipitation levels and the changing water levels of Lake Michigan are highly correlated. Both have to do with the hydrological cycle. Higher evaporation rates mixed with annual fluctuations in wind and temperature all result in consistently inconsistent water levels and seasonal patterns. 

Aside from the hydrological cycle, the seasons themselves seem to have shifted. Winter is much more tame, but summer has been pushed back. At the time of writing this it is June 18th with a high of 64 and a low of 55 degrees today (The Weather Channel). From the data set I mentioned earlier at the Botanic Gardens, the lowest June temperature recorded in that timeframe was 57 degrees (University of Illinois). The historical average low this late in June is nearly todays' high, a cool 63 degrees (Wanderlog). However, as a scientifically interested individual, this is something I have learned to live with and passively observe. The climate is changing, and with that we must adapt, too.

I think it unrealistic to assume others are not noticing these changes, too. Most people I talk to express similar sentiments about the later start of summer, and our inconsistent spring. Additionally, many of my peers lament the inaccessibility of Swing Beach, as it holds much nostalgia for them. 

My biggest takeaway from this course is, as this blog seemed to focus on, with regards to the Great Lakes. Particularly, as it is near and dear to my home, Lake Michigan. I have heard rumblings about the dangers of Asian Carp in the Chicago River, and I think it unrealistic to assume they have yet to invade the Great Lakes. In trackable numbers, perhaps not. But those fish that close to the great lake, I think they are likely already swimming about. So, keeping an eye on the Great Lakes food webs and the shifting dynamics will be something that piqued my interest from this course, and I will carry with me moving forwards. Hopefully Lake Michigan will follow in the direction of some of its neighbors, and establish a new equilibrium. Only time will tell.

Additionally, another really important takeaway for me from this course was learning about terrestrial invasive species. I definitely spend more time on land than on or around the water (I never learned to fish). I love hiking, running, biking, all on what I previously considered beautiful trails easily accessible to me. Now, I go about with a more watchful eye, and notice just how infested many of my beloved routes are with invasive species. Buckthorn and honeysuckles being the two most prominent, keeping a watchful eye then motivates me to become more active in restoration efforts. So, to tie my two takeaways into one, monitoring the health of the habitats I find myself immersed in is the biggest takeaway from the class. This course provided me the foundational tools needed to start assessing habitat health, and as somebody that hopes to improve the health, they are tools I will carry with me for a long time.



Sources

https://wanderlog.com/weather/65064/6/glencoe-weather-in-june

https://lre-wm.usace.army.mil/ForecastData/GLBasinConditions/LTA-GLWL-Graph.pdf

https://www.isws.illinois.edu/statecli/newnormals/normals.USC00111497.txt

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/wys_rpt?dv_ts_ids=49765&wys_water_yr=2021&site_no=415755087525300&agency_cd=USGS&adr_water_years=2006%2C2007%2C2008%2C2009%2C2010%2C2011%2C2012%2C2013%2C2014%2C2015%2C2016%2C2017%2C2018%2C2019%2C2020%2C2021&referred_module=


Comments

  1. I also noticed a lot more terrestrial invasives around Madison whenever I go walk about in Muir Woods or Picnic point after taking this course. It really is an eye opener for human impacts on the environment. I thought your anecdotes about the tire swing and spending time on Lake Michigan were very interesting. It was nice to recap some of the points from Dan Eagan's book, like Asian carp invasions and the rising water table. What methods of mitigation of the effects of this climate change in your area would you find effective? You mentioned we must adapt to a changing climate, and I agree. However, if agriculture is big in your area or near your area, do you think that some soil conservation/erosion control techniques could help prevent excess runoff entering Lake Michigan during extreme weather?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article, Sam! Sorry to hear about Swing Beach. The Death and Life of the Great Lakes has a fascinating chapter on the changing lake levels in Lake Michigan. Recommend you read it if you haven't. One of the scariest things about climate change are the feedback loops a system can be forced into because of it. One that is partly behind the lower lake levels you see in Lake Michigan are increasing lake temps that are decreasing ice cover which decreases lake albedo which increases lake temps and so on and so on. You make a good point that we'll have to adapt.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment