We Can't Control the Weather; Or Can We? (week 4)

We Can't Control the Weather; Or Can We? 



I have noticed changes in the weather where I live; I think it is hard to miss as I am currently typing this with an active heat advisory in effect for temperatures projected to be in the upper nineties (degrees Fahrenheit). In the past week alone, Madison has seen temperatures in the high sixties on the weekend, severe wind storms on Monday, and temperatures nearing 100 degrees on Tuesday. The direct cause of these record-breaking heat waves (washingtonpost) is high atmospheric pressure compressing air towards the ground (nytimes). The underlying cause, however, is much more political. The EPA suggests that the increase in prevalence, and severity, of heat waves across the world is contributable to a warming climate (epa). We learned in class that significant warming effects are attributable to the greenhouse gasses accumulating in our atmosphere; as solar radiation is emitted as infrared energy, the greenhouse gasses in our atmosphere absorb and re-emit this infrared energy (heat) which is transmitted up and down the Earth to create a warming effect (BOTANY 450: Lecture 4.1). Similarly, scientific models suggest that the Earth is supposed to be 18 degrees COLDER than what is currently observed (BOTANY 450: Lecture 4.1). With this information in mind, a possible source of the heat waves includes the greenhouse gas effect. I am proposing that, in adjustment to the changing climate, the weather patterns of the Earth are progressing typically, however, more extreme temperatures are observed due to this effect. 
I am confident that other people around me are noticing these changes. Even as I was searching for sources for this post, I came across several entries centered on the changing climate. Aside from the internet, my peers in Madison have made comments about this issue. In particular, my roommates and I have been complaining about the heat as we have no AC in our unit (unfortunately). The most prominent example in my mind, however, is a news broadcast based out of Rhinelander, WI. 
The Up North News, which is the local new program for much of northern Wisconsin, reported historic weather patterns in the short-time that I was there. Last week, my family and I vacationed in Arbor Vitae, WI and we were watching Geoff, the meteorologist. Geoff was explaining how the temperatures where at a historic low-- for reference, it hit 42 degrees and night in mid-June. He further went on the explain that it would be warming up quickly; in a matter of 4 days, the temperature jumped nearly 50 degrees! Geoff and his colleagues discussed the rarity of such an event. Below is a screenshot of the monthly forecast for Rhinelander, WI from the Accuweather webpage. Note the dates of June 11-14.

A particular memory I have regarding the change in weather is one from my childhood. Growing up, I remember my little brother and I loving a neighborhood splash pad; we would look forward to playing there all year. One day, my mother was prepared to take us when a heat advisory encouraged everyone to stay indoors. Obviously, we cancelled our trip to the splash pad, and my brother and I were devastated. Of course-- and rather embarrassingly-- we had ourselves a bit of a tantrum (our poor mother). However, it was rather hot. In fact, that same day my neighbors AC went out, and she suffered heat poisoning. I still remember the ambulance taking her to the hospital to this day. That was the first time that I understood the power of the weather. 

what is the most interesting/important/helpful idea or piece of knowledge that you will take away from this course? 

I am very pleased with all that I have gotten from this course. In a span of four weeks, I have gained a better understanding of my local flora and fauna, as well as the land I have grown up on. The most important knowledge that I will take away from this course is appreciating the integrity of nature. As such, I know now the severity of invasive species, the urgent need to conserve wildlife, and the importance of enjoying nature responsibly. Thank you for a great class! 

Comments

  1. Hi Grace, I enjoyed reading your post as I sweat in my apartment on another hot day. It's crazy how different places in Wisconsin can experience extreme temperature shifts and how these events are impacting longer term trends of increased nightly temperatures. I think you bring up a great example of what high temperatures can do to human health, such as experience heat stroke. It's also important to keep in mind that higher temperatures are going to have disproportionate effects on human health, especially on those that cannot affording running air conditioning. In situations like this, it would be essential to become connected with community members for the ease of checking in on one another during these hot times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your take and this blog post as it brought to the attention how different areas of Wisconsin are responding, reacting, and changing in regards to global warming. The effects were clearly outlined and you did a great job of relating it back to how it relates to all of us as individuals. Your anecdote illuminated this perfectly. How do you think we can combat this though as often heat stroke results in lower socioeconomic groups? Is it more an institutional problem or a climate problem in your opinion and why? Lastly, appreciating nature is a great takeaway as I know this class gave me a full new perspective on the greenery, plants, and animals around me all the time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment